Maintaining your car involves more than just taking it to the mechanic and having it serviced. Maintaining it requires washing and making sure that it is clean. Among the parts of your automobile that needs regular cleaning is the windshield. There are commercial autoglass cleaners available on the market. Though they do the job, these cleaners contain methanol, which is a poisonous chemical even in small amounts. Because methanol is not only dangerous to your health, but to the environment as well, most people prefer to make their windshield cleaner that is methanol-free at home. These home-made fluids are both easy to make and also very cheap. This article will guide you on how to make your auto glass cleaning fluid at home.
There are a couple of methods that you can use to make this cleaning fluid. These methods are combining dish soap and ammonia, making it using vinegar, and making it by diluting window cleaner.
1. Combining Dish Soap and Ammonia
The ingredients required for this method are Ammonia, distilled water, and dish soap. These ingredients are combined as follows to make the windscreen repair cleaning fluid:
– You first start by pouring one gallon of distilled water to a container that is clean. Use a container that is capable of holding a little bit over one gallon of fluid.
– The next step is to add one tablespoon of dish soap in the container containing distilled water. You can use any brand of soap that you have at home. Also, make sure that you do not add too much soap. If you do so, you might end up with a fluid that is too thick. Also, it is important that the soap does not leave residue or streaks on the container.
– After you complete the first two steps, add a half a cup of ammonia. The ammonia you use should be free of surfactants and additives, and it should also be non-sudsing. Remember that concentrated amounts of ammonia can be very dangerous; therefore, you should practice a lot of caution during this step. The space that you are working should be well-ventilated because ammonia gas is very poisonous and you should also wear gloves. Do not worry about ammonia being poisonous because it becomes safe to use as a cleaning agent after diluting with distilled water.
– Seal the container and shake it well to mix the ingredients. Now test the cleaner. You can try using it to remove grime. If it does so without leaving any residue, then it is ready to use on your car’s windshield.
2. Using Vinegar
Another method that you can use to make car glass cleaning fluid is by using vinegar. Below are the necessary steps to take to make the liquid:
– In the first step, you should pour a ¾ gallon of water into a clean and empty container. The container you use should be able to hold a little more than a gallon of fluid.
– Now, add four cups of white vinegar into the container. It is important that you only use white vinegar as other types may leave behind stains or residue. Only prepare a vinegar based cleaning agent in cold weather conditions. Warm weather conditions may cause the vinegar to create a foul, pungent smell.
– The final step involves recapping the container and thoroughly mixing the solution by shaking it. Vinegar freezes in very low temperatures. Therefore, before using it, perform a temperature check. Pour the solution into a small cup and leave it outside overnight. Check in the morning and see if it is frozen then add two more cups of vinegar to the solution.
3. Diluting Window Cleaner
Another method of making windshield cleaner is by diluting window cleaner. The following steps show how it is done:
– First, pour one gallon of distilled water into a clean and empty container. The container should be capable of holding at least one and a quarter gallon of fluid. Distilled water is preferred in making washing liquid because it does not contain minerals that can build up in the spray nozzles and pump causing it to block.
– In the next step, you should add one cup of glass cleaner to the container holding the distilled water.
– Now, close the container and shake it to mix the solution well.